Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Show Me.

My recent trip to Kansas City, Missouri helped dispel some myths and stereotypes many of us on the east coast have about the lovely midwest, previously in my mind known only as "the mass grave of buffalo and injuns." Here are a few of those:

1) While I pride myself on how incredibly enlightened and open-minded I am (you'd have to be to have a hindu and a jew as friends, am I right?), I may have sorta-kinda feared a cold reception by very white midwestern farmers. No burnings at the stake or anything, but maybe a forced babtism attempt or two. Instead, I was met by the kindest and most welcoming people I have ever come across who weren't (at least perceptively) high at the time. The kind of people who not only smile when they pass you on the sidewalk, but actually say "hello" and occasionally add "nice day, isnt it?" However, if ever travelling in the midwest, please note that officers of the law are not more lenient towards you when you drive 25 mph over the speed limit. You might get pie afterwards, though. I had no such luck, but I can see how that could happen. Cuz, you know...they're nice.

2) There are streetlights and freeways in the midwest. Really caught me offguard.

3) There was no livestock roaming around anywhere I was near.

4) Midwesterners appreciate modern art...on the first friday of every month.

And some preconceptions that weren't so wrong afterall:

1) Midwesterners are white. Some are pasty, some are rosy, but (all)predominantly white. This I feel they should use as a marketing tool to attract non-white families with small children: "The Midwest. Where you will never lose track of little Leila or Hassan!" (look around. which of these is not like the others?)

2) Midwesterners love Jesus. L.O.V.E. him. This was made very evident to me at a comedy improv show where the audience was asked to offer suggestions of their favorite bible story for the skit. And then reinforced when there was a run-off vote because several stories were yelled out at once. (For all my midwest friends at the edge of their seats: "Daniel and the Lions" won.)

3) Midwesterners say "pop" instead of soda.

All in all, this trip to Missouri taught me that the best way to dispel stereotypes is to spend a few days in someone else's shoes. Then again, I wouldn't recommend following this advice to get rid of your fear of the KKK or say, Russian Mafia. Sometimes, prejudice means survival.