Thursday, March 09, 2006

Rant, rant, bo-bant....

There have been some stories in the news lately that really piss me off:

(1) Roe v. Wade for Men
I wish it were a joke.... There is a group of men who are apparently trying to "stand up for Mens' Rights" by fighting legislation that requires them to pay for child support. The lawsuit was initiated by a man that was angry at having to pay for his ex-girlfriend's baby. HELLO! It takes two people to have a child. Just because the woman is the one who has to carry it does not mean the man is off the hook. I am even more concerned when it comes to the impending doom that the South Dakota anti-abortion bill will cause if it makes it to the Supreme Court. Not only will this be very detrimental to womens' rights, but if they are going to be required by law to have a child once they become impregnated, they should require men to help pay for its care. Maybe Canada isn't looking so bad, eh?

(2) Dubai Ports deal
More proof of terrorism hysteria and greed. I am honestly surprised that such an anti-terrorist President as our own is supporting this deal. If you say you want to fight those "bad folks," why would you want to invite a Middle Eastern country to oversee the ports in 9/11 town? His logic is that Middle-East = Al-Qaeda. It just doesn't mesh. Especially because all but 2 people on the Committee to approve this project seem to think its a bad idea. Bush is expected to Veto their decision. Maybe he has some sort of deal brewing so that he'll reap some sort of profits from the thing. But, more importantly, just because they are a Middle Eastern country does not mean they are terrorists. Which in a back-ass-wards way makes Bush right.

(3) Brokeback Mountain
Ok, I admit, I've never seen it. However, I don't see what the big deal is. First of all, the story does not appeal to me in the slightest and I have no plans to see it, maybe ever. And that's not because it has to do with homosexuals. Its because its a Western and a love story, and I couldn't care less what those ranch hands do in their spare time in Canada (oh, I mean Wyoming). I think its great that mainstream culture has embraced the portrayal of gay cowboys, and that it may mean people are going to be more open-minded in the future (yeah, I know, like 2098 future), but I am glad it didn't sweep all of the awards. I think it was hyped WAY too much. Which leads me to my next point: The Oscar committee has gone ape-shit. "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" won for Best Song. I felt like I was watching MTV. I think that the song from Crash was a lot better, or even the Dolly Parton one. She should've at least gotten something for being like 85 and looking like she does.

Thanks for listening.