Monday, February 13, 2006

Cheney is...Cupid?

Dick Cheney shot his "friend" in the face. Reminds me of a few "friends" i'd like to go hunting with. Which brings us to the topic of today's post: What makes people haters?

Everyone who knows me understands that I LOVE people. All people. Well, not you. But most people. I would love everyone in the world to hold hands and sing Kumbaya till some of us get engulfed by a tsunami, earthquake, or hurricane...and even afterwards, for the rest to just keep on singing...through the tears.

But there are some people, some awfully terrible people, who don't want the rest of us to sing. Maybe it's because they're jealous of our voices, or maybe just because they're ugly. Whatever the reason, these cartoon drawing, embassy burning, country invading, bar-fight starting, humorless assholes who take themselves too seriously....spend countless hours making sure the rest of us pay for their insecurities.

Case in Point: Last friday night, I was having the best dinner party of my life. Around the dinner table were seated (counter clockwise): A romanian-dutchman who was married to an iranian-philipino, a burkinabe language scholar, a greek theatre production major, a mongolian economics scholar, and my friends (they're none too special). The conversation centered around religion, politics, and sex (everything you're not supposed to talk about at dinner)...and while there were some intense disagreements, nobody was offended and everyone laughed alot. (especially when Niamboue from Burkina Faso told us how he hunted tigers and climbed trees to get fruit.)

All this to say that I was in a good mood when later than night, I went out to a bar to meet up with some friends of friends. Suddenly, my "it's a small world" view of life was shattered by some syphilis-ridden skank (educated guess) who called me a "sarcastic bitch who thinks she's funny" and reiterated that she "wanted to punch me in the face!" Me! Sarcastic! And what really poured lemon juice in the cut was that I had made an honest effort to befriend this ho, noticing how she was just standing on the side of the group and looked bored. It's a good thing she didn't say this all to my face, because then I would have had to do something rash...like run away, hide, and weep uncontrollably.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: don't hate. celebrate! U2 won a bunch of grammies, the Olympics have started, it's snowing in DC, Valentine's Day is tomorrow, and there's a three day weekend coming up! And if you must hate, kindly leave my face out of it.